Action Alert: Stop FAST TRACK and unfair trade practices!
Written on: April 20, 2015
The Food Chain Workers Alliance joined hundreds of organizations in dozens of countries across the globe for the April 18th Global Day of Action Against Unfair Trade.
In the United States, communities from coast-to-coast will join together in action that day to help derail Fast Track legislation that would enable the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), the Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) and other corporate power grabs disguised as trade agreements to be rushed through Congress.
If we don’t derail Fast Track, the TPP and other pending pacts would be rubber-stamped, with potentially devastating consequences for working people, family farmers, indigenous peoples, small businesses and the environment in the United States and around the globe.
Stopping Fast Track is the single most important contribution those in the United States can make to ending corporate trade agreements that threaten to:
- Destroy livelihoods and accelerate the global race to the bottom in wages and working conditions
- Further commodify agriculture, trample food sovereignty, hurt small farmers and contribute to forced migration
- Enable new corporate attacks on democratically-enacted environmental and consumer protections
- Undermine global economic stability by prohibiting effective regulation of financial markets
- Reduce access to life-saving generic medications, increase the cost of prescriptions and restrict freedom on the Internet
The threats that existing “Fast Tracked” trade agreements have already cost our communities, and the additional threats that new pacts pose, must be both acknowledged and resisted. We have defeated similar corporate power grabs like the Multilateral Agreement on Investment (MAI), the Millennial Round of the World Trade Organization (WTO), the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) and even past attempts at Fast Track — as recently as 2014. By acting together, we will do so again now.
Please call and email your Members of Congress to oppose Fast Track, on or around Saturday, April 18th. ( we realize this date is past, but your call is still important to convince members of Congress- especially those who are on the fence!)
This entry was posted in With a Heart for Justice and tagged: Congress, corporate agreements, corporate power grabs, corporate trade agreements, FAST TRACK, Food Chain Workers Alliance, rubber-stamp, Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)