Reflection on the Feast of the Epiphany 2023

Written on: January 4, 2024

Keeping Faith on Our Journey

By Sister Mary McMahon, GNSH

First Reading: Isaiah 60:1-6
Second Reading: Ephesians 3:2-3a, 5-6
Psalm: Psalms 72:1-2, 7-8, 10-11, 12-13.
Gospel: Matthew 2:1-12

A printable version of the reflection is here: Feast of the Epiphany 2023

Today’s readings are for the feast of the Epiphany. The word Epiphany means manifestation. Jesus manifested himself to the wise men.

When I was a child, my family celebrated Little Christmas, twelve days after Christmas, which was the Epiphany. My mother’s birthday was January 7th. We kept our Christmas tree up until the Epiphany. This is when the three astrologers or wise men came from Persia looking for the King of the Jews or Messiah. They followed the star to Bethlehem.

It was a long and arduous journey on camels. They had faith and perseverance and kept traveling. They brought gifts for the newborn king to worship him.

When they arrived in Jerusalem, King Herod summoned them to let him know where the child was. After leaving Herod, they were overjoyed to see the bright star again. They followed it all the way to a manger in Bethlehem. They offered Jesus, the Messiah, gifts of gold, incense, and myrrh.

The wise men recognized Jesus because they had faith. Faith needs to be supported throughout life. Prayer helps. “Let my prayer rise as incense before Thee.” We need God’s grace on our journey.

What gifts do we have to give Jesus? Mainly ourselves, our hearts.

6 thoughts on “Reflection on the Feast of the Epiphany 2023

1. Mary (Halicki) Walczak says:

I was blessed because my birthday is Jan 6th. The threekings, Casper, Malchior, & Balthazar have been my friends”. My grandchildren know their names & why it’s an important day in the church.

2. Janet E. Friedman says:

Hi Sr. Mary,
    I love the lengthy Christmas season. I never get my cards out until New Years
    I loved your question: What gifts can we bring him. Maybe that should be at the top of our Christmas list.

3. Jean says:

Interesting thoughts to ponder. Thanks, Mary

4. Joan Wasilewski says:

We also kept our creche up until Jan.6 but
    the tree came down on New Years day.
    A blessed new year to all !

5. Michael McClure says:

Beautiful!

6. Arlene Kisker says:

I also keep my tree and creche up to “Little Christmas”. My Grandma Adrian’s birthday was Jan. 6th, the day before. Some in my family just keep the creche up but take down the tree. I love traditions, even celebrating St. Nicholas Day which my daughter, Marybeth continues with her grown children. This is a part of our heritage along with faith and prayer that makes our life have meaning. God bless all the Grey Nuns.