Sister Bernadette Marie Lalonde, GNSH

Written on: February 28, 2024

Sister Bernadette Marie Lalonde +474, GNSH (Carolyn Joan Lalonde), 84, died on February 26, 2024. Sister was born in Ogdensburg, NY on April 22, 1939 to Theodore and Alida (Bouchard) Lalonde. Raised in Ogdensburg, she graduated from Holy Cross School and St. Mary’s Academy (1957). She received a BS in Elementary Education from D’Youville College, Buffalo, NY (1972).

In her days as teacher, Sister “Bernie” taught first and second grades or served as a teacher/library/cafeteria aide. She was a teacher at St. Joan of Arc (1961-63), and Our Lady of Fatima (1963-65), Jackson Heights; St. Leo’s (1965-67) Corona; Bishop Conroy (1967-70), Ogdensburg; and Immaculate Conception (1970-71, 1982-83), Eden, NY.

Sister was a File Clerk at AB Hepburn Hospital, Ogdensburg from 1972 to 1980. The remainder of her years of service was in Philadelphia and Yardley, PA where she generously assisted her Sisters at the Motherhouse in various capacities, including Sacristan, Receptionist, and other forms of Intracommunity service. In addition to other responsibilities while living at the Motherhouse, she spent several years (1996 – 2002) as a library/cafeteria aide and volunteer at Grey Nun Academy. Sister moved to Holy Redeemer Lafayette in 2015 when the Motherhouse closed.

In addition to her religious congregation, Sister is survived by nieces Linda Militi, Mary Jane McCaffrey and Debbie McCaffrey, nephew Stephen McCaffrey, and their families. Sister is predeceased by her parents and siblings Marilyn Rabetoy, (twin) Beverly Forgione, Marie McCaffrey, and Henry Lalonde.

Sharing of memories will be held at 9:30 am on Saturday, March 9, 2024, at the Redeemer Sisters’ Chapel, 521 Moredon Rd, Huntingdon Valley, PA; funeral Mass to follow at 10:00 am. Burial in Resurrection Cemetery, Bensalem, PA.  Donations in her memory may be made to the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart, 14500 Bustleton Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19116-1188 or through the Grey Nuns website. Funeral arrangements Beck-Givnish Funeral Home, Levittown, PA.

6 thoughts on “Sister Bernadette Marie Lalonde, GNSH

1. Rev. Richard Davis, TOR says:

To our beloved Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart,
    I was deeply saddened to receive word of the death of my very dear friend, Sister Bernadette Marie, Bernie. We have been friends for more than 30 years, and we formed that friendship while I was one of the chaplains at the Motherhouse in Yardley, serving from our Friary at Bishop Egan High School. She was an excellent sacristan, and cared deeply that the proper setting was always prepared reverently and appropriately at the Altar. I was honored to celebrate her Golden Jubilee Mass, and shared with her by phone at least once a month. I regretted that I was not able to accept the invitation to celebrate her funeral liturgy this coming Saturday, but I have offered Holy Mass for the repose of her soul. A faithful daughter of St. Marguerite d’Youville, and great devotee of the Sacred Heart, may she now have received the promise of the resurrected life. Well done good and faithful servant. Continue to pray for me, and know, I will always pray for you and the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart. With deep fondness, Fr. Richard L. Davis, TOR

2. Meaghan Petetti Londergan, Esquire says:

Dear Sister Bernie,

As you regularly reminded me, you became a member of my family first. You showed up before I entered the world outside of my mother’s womb.

Your ear, presence, prayers, love, and devotion- priceless gifts over 40 years. For the space you gave my burdened mother- I will be eternally grateful.

I can feel your arm in mine. I can hear your childlike infectious laughter in my ear. A snort. An, oh dear. I can see you chair dance. I can hear you sing. Thank you for choosing to spend so many holidays, graduations parties and precious life moments with us. Thank you for bearing witness.

It has been an honor to have you in my tribe. I will carry you in my heart always.

Thank you for loving us.

I love you. I miss you. Rest in peace.

Meaghan Petetti Londergan, Esquire

3. Frances Petetti Londergan says:

Sister Bernie as she was affectionally known by myself and my children was a family friend for 43 years. I met sister at the Grey Nun Academy in Yardley when my son was 12. He was a student there. It was in a difficult period in my life and this woman saw me crying in the chapel and said can I help you dear? And that was the beginning of a 43-year adventure. Holidays birthdays weddings graduations anniversaries; giggles and laughs. Bernie was a loyal friend and a powerful prayer warrior. It was an honor to have known her and to have her in my life all these years. She will be deeply missed and yet I am assured by faith that she will continue to advocate for myself and my children from her heavenly home. Rest in Peace dear, dear friend.

4. Jack and Marge says:

Rest in peace, Sister! We remember you fondly from Grey Nun Academy. Say hello to Sister Carol for us!
    Jack and Marge

5. Linda Spillman Garrity says:

Sr. Bernie met our family when she taught my older brother 1st grade at Holy Angels School (now converted to D’Youville University’s library). Our families remained life-long friends. From her family staying with my grammie as her brother-in-law went through treatments at Roswell…to celebrations of jubilees, special events, weddings, etc….to support through challenges, illnesses and so on…Sr.’s faith and warmth and delightful laughter were gifts from above. Your gift of love will forever be in our hearts,,,you have been our blessing. May you rest in Peace among the angels, sweet lady.

6. Joe Tebo says:

Sr. Bernie was a beautiful person. I known Bernie for many years. I would take home a vacation when could come north in the summer. May She Rest in Peace. Enernal Rest grant onto her O Lord and perpetual light shrine on her. May her Soul and Souls of the Faithful Departed in Peace. AMEN.